- Stress can come in the form of
- Emotional stress
- Physical Stress such as clenching teeth or poor posture
- Physiological stress in the form of excessive sugar or caffeine
- Stress is a normal human reaction that can be used to improve productivity and awareness, but when excessive stress begins compounding, it can detrimental to your health.
- Though a cycle of stress can be difficult to manage, simple strategies can help such as
- Deep Breathing
- Quality Sleep
- Eating nutrient-dense foods
- Proper hydration
- Common postural stressors include sitting with a rounded back, chin protrusion, or tilting/rotating the head to one side for a period of time.
- These postures may lead to excessive tone in the muscles of the neck, leading to increased pressure on the nerves and joints.
3. Food/Drink Consumption
- Food intolerances are one of the least known causes of headaches
- Food/Drink triggers are very individualized, so be aware of what you are consuming when you are experiencing headaches
- Common foods and beverages that may trigger headaches include:
- MSG containing foods
- Aged Cheeses
- Excessively processed or salty foods
- Dehydration is a very common and overlooked reason you may be experiencing headaches, particularly living in South Florida.
- Do not wait until you are thirsty to drink water, try and always have a bottle of water to sip throughout the day.
- If you are physically active and sweat often, be sure to include electrolytes in your hydration program to replenish what is lost during activity.
5. Movement Quality
- Poor movement quality and range of motion in the neck, shoulders, and upper back can lead to strain on sensitive structures such as joints, ligaments, and nerves.
- Regularly moving the joints and muscles of the neck through a full range of motion can reduce the likelihood of excessive strain and headaches.
- Strengthening the small stabilizing muscles of the neck and shoulder blades can balance muscles and reduce the over-use of larger muscle groups in the neck
If you or someone you know has been dealing with headaches and would like to schedule and evaluation with one of our physicians please give us a a call or click the link below!